The NSU Motor Pool provides safe, reliable transportation to departments of the University for use in conducting University business.  The Motor Pool is operated by the Motor Pool Staff and administered by the Auxiliary Services Department.

The cost of the transportation will be charged to the appropriate University department.

Motor Pool effective July 1, 2008 will be open from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Monday through  Friday.  The office will be closed those day from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. for lunch.

University policies and procedures governing the use of vehicles are in accordance with Title 47, 1971 Oklahoma Statutes and apply to the purchase and use of all University vehicles.

  1. All persons operating University-owned vehicles must be University employees or recognized volunteers (volunteers must be pre-approved by the head of the department being represented) and all must have a valid driver's license (appropriate for the vehicle being driven).

    1. Student employees, eighteen years or older, may operate a University motor vehicle in the course of their employment so long as they hold a valid driver's license issued by their state of residence.
    2. The only driver's licenses recognized by the State of Oklahoma and Oklahoma law enforcement agencies are those issued by any of the other forty-nine United States and those issued by the country of origin of international students.
    3. All drivers transporting passengers in multi-passenger vehicles (other than a standard car) must be 21 years of age or older and be familiar with the type of vehicle being driven and must have appropriate licensing.  They must also complete any orientation required by the University for the vehicle taken.   
  2. University vehicles may only be used in the performance of official duties. They may not be used for private purposes including transportation to and from the employee's place of residence.  Motor Pool vehicles must be returned to the Motor Pool immediately upon completion of the trip.

    It is the policy of the University that passengers shall not be transported in State vehicles unless they are on State business.

    Any exceptions to these rules must be presented in writing in advance and must be approved by the Head of the department reserving the vehicle, and the Motor Pool  Coordinator or the Director of Auxiliary Services.
  3. Accidentsinvolving University-owned vehicles must be investigated by the proper police agency having jurisdiction where the accident occurs.  Procedures for handling accidents and all necessary forms are supplied with each Motor Pool vehicle. Responsibility for proper reporting of vehicle accidents rests with the vehicle driver.

Top of Page


  1. Who Can Use a University Vehicle: Any university employee representing a University department with adequate funds for authorized University expenditure may utilize a University vehicle to conduct official University business. The Account Sponsor (or their representative) must authorize the request and is totally responsible for all charges.
  2. To Reserve a Motor Pool Vehicle: The Account Sponsor or department representative should contact the Motor Pool with their request and provide the following information.

    1. A cost center number, a PR/PO number for encumbered travel funds, or a number for a grant or sponsored fund account must be provided for billing of Motor Pool charges.
    2. The request should include the type of vehicle required, date and time of departure, date and time of return, destination and name of the individual who will operate the vehicle.  Any special requests or needs should be addressed at this time.
    3. Charges for the trip will be based on the approved current Rate Structures for the type of vehicle being used.  Lease charges will be for the actual mileage driven or for the actual time the vehicle is checked out, whichever is greater.  (Exceptions may be made on travel that promotes the University’s agenda when pre-approved by the Motor Pool Coordinator or the Director of Auxiliary Services.)  Vehicles left in public transportation parking lots will be subject to a daily fee of $20.00 for each day the vehicle is parked awaiting return of the lessee in addition to the mileage fees.

      Excess charges over and above Motor Pool rates for leased vehicles from outside rental agencies or other providers will be the responsibility of the department using the vehicle.
    4. Cancellations not received at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure time are subject to a cancellation fee of ½ the minimum daily rate.  If the vehicle is re-leased there will be no fee.  (Exceptions for inclement weather, illness, emergencies, special needs, last minute meeting/class cancellations etc., but immediate Motor Pool notification is required.)  Cancellation fees will be charged to the account of the department reserving the vehicle.  
  3. Picking Up Vehicles: Before departure time, the person scheduled to operate the vehicle should:

    1. Bring a driver's license to the Motor Pool Office, read and sign the Vehicle Lease Form and pick up the key packet containing Motor Pool gasoline credit cards.  A valid driver’s license copy must be on file at the Motor Pool.
    2. If departure time is not during normal office hours (8AM to 5PM Monday - Friday), contact the Motor Pool Office during regular office hours to arrange to pick up keys in advance of the departure date and time.  
  4. Period of Usage: Vehicles may be reserved for the entire period of approved travel status. Vehicles not returned as scheduled will be subject to a late charge. Late charges will be waived if they occur as a result of vehicle breakdowns, accidents, etc., which are beyond the control of the driver.  Failure to return on time (excepting emergencies or breakdowns) which results in the Motor Pool having to lease a vehicle from an outside agency to accommodate another reservation may result in any excess charges being charged to the offending party’s department.
  5. Returning Vehicles: Park the vehicle in the designated spaces in the Motor Pool lot; return keys, credit cards and receipts to the office or key drop box; lock vehicle doors.  Drivers will be responsible for ensuring that trash is removed from vehicles.  The Motor Pool is not responsible for items left in vehicles.  Found items will be kept in the Lost and Found for a period of three months before disposal or donation to charity.

    After completion of the trip, the Motor Pool office will process the appropriate billing  entries for charges to departments or other responsible accounts as requested.
  6. Damage to University Vehicles: The department reserving the vehicle from the Motor Pool is responsible for any physical damage by passengers to the vehicle beyond normal wear and deterioration. Vehicles are serviced on a regular basis, but drivers should be aware of any problems with the engine or operation of the vehicle and report them to the Motor Pool.  Drivers must take reasonable and proper care of Motor Pool vehicles while in their possession.  Damage to vehicles which is deemed to be from operator negligence, may be charged to the department responsible for the lease of the vehicle.  It is important to note and report any vehicle damage while in their possession to the Motor Pool.

    Drivers are responsible for making sure all trash is removed from the vehicle upon return.  Vehicles requiring beyond normal cleaning before they can be re-leased for use will be assessed a cleaning charge from $25 to $50+ each vehicle.
  7. Repairs and Service to Motor Pool Vehicles: All purchases of parts and/or labor for emergency repairs must be reported to the Motor Pool upon the return of the vehicle. Purchases of $100 or more must be approved by the Motor Pool prior to purchase to ensure reimbursement.  No reimbursement will be made without copies of receipts and details of work provided.
  8. Vehicle Equipment: The equipment installed on University vehicles may not be changed or altered in any way. Loudspeaker systems, banner, bumper stickers, radio antennas, spotlights, etc., will not be displayed on a University vehicle unless it is part of the regular equipment or specific written approval has been obtained from the Motor Pool office.
  9. Obtaining Fuel for Motor Pool Vehicles

Top of Page

Gasoline Credit Cards: Credit cards are issued with the keys for each vehicle. Purchases may be made for fuel only. The vehicle operator is responsible for the credit cards and departments may be charged for lost or willfully damaged cards.

Cash or Personal Credit Cards: Purchases by cash or personal credit cards may be reimbursed by submitting Travel Claim forms with appropriate receipts and required approval signatures.  The Motor Pool is unable to reimburse expenditures directly.

The use of Motor Pool gasoline credit cards is limited to University vehicles or fueling vehicles leased from a vendor for use by University departments on official University business.  No University credit card may be used to purchase gasoline for privately owned vehicles.

Authorized drivers and University vehicles are insured through the State of Oklahoma Self Insurance Cert. #485 and pursuant to the “Tort Claims Act” (Title 51/151, et seq.) and in accordance with all rules and regulations of the Risk Management Division, State of Oklahoma.

NSU Vehicle Lease Form


Top of Page